Transformation of Sentences Part 1- Some rules and example sentences

THOUGH/ ALTHOUGH/ DESPITE/ INSPITE OF
Though/ although 
* Though he was not well, he took the exam.
Despite (+ing verb) or (+the fact) or (noun)
* Despite being ill, he took his exam.
* Despite the fact that he was ill, he took his exam.
* Despite his illness, he took his exam.
'In spite' is always followed by 'of'
* In spite of being ill/ In spite of the fact that he was ill/ In spite of his illness, he took his exam.

NOTWITHSTANDING AND NEVERTHELESS
Notwithstanding (+noun) or (+the fact that)
* Notwithstanding his illness, he took his exam.
* Notwithstanding the fact that he was ill, he took his exam.
Nevertheless is used to mean the same as 'yet' or 'still'
He was not well, nevertheless he took his exam.

OTHER SIMILAR FORMS
* Hardworking as he is, he failed in his exams.
* However he works hard/ However hard he works, he failed in his exams.
* However he is hard working/ However hardworking he is/
   However hardworking he may be, he ...
* Regardless of being sincere, he failed in his exams.

* No matter he is sincere, he failed in his exams.
* Sincere as he may be/ might have been, he failed in his exams.
* No matter what turns out, I will help my friend. / Come what may, I will help my friend.
* However it may affect him, he will go to Kedarnath temple.

BESIDES AND NOT ONLY
With 'besides', 'also' is not used as a rule. Besides will be followed by either an 'ing' verb or a noun/ noun phrase.
* Not only is/was he a renowned singer, but also a famous poet.
* Not only did/does he know Urdu, but also Spanish. / but Spanish too.
Besides being a renowned singer, he is a famous poet.
Besides having two luxury cars, he owns a sports car.
* Besides Mr. Singh, Mr. Sharma met me to express his concern.
* Besides other consequences of the treaty, it has sparked agony in people's hearts.
* He is both a renowned singer and a famous poet.

IF AND UNLESS
ALL CONDITIONALS HAVE TWO PARTS. THE FIRST CLAUSE EXPRESSES A CONDITION AND THE SECOND EXPRESSES ITS OUTCOME.
Unless= if + not
* If he is not back home by 5, we will have to go without him.
* Unless he is back home by 5, we will have to go without him.
* We will go with him as long as he is back home by 5./ Provided that he is back by 5, we will go with him. /Given that he is back by 5, we will go with him.

IN CASE= IF + WHEN
*Let me carry an umbrella in case it rains.

OTHER CONDITIONALS
* If he went to the market, he would buy milk.
  Were he to go to the market, he would buy milk.
* If I were the PM of my country, I would make stricter policies. /Were I the PM....

CONDITIONAL OF THE THIRD TYPE (HYPOTHETICAL CONDITIONS)
* If he had gone to the market, he would have bought apples. (Past perfect in the 1st part- WOULD HAVE + VERB 3RD FORM in the second) (The reality is he did not go to the market so the possibility of his having bought apples is hypothetical.)
* Had he gone to the market, he would have bought apples.

USE OF 'BUT FOR'
* If Raj had not been there, my life would not have been safe.
   But for Raj's presence, my life would not have been safe.

NO SOONER/ HARDLY (BARELY, SCARCELY) /AS SOON AS
No sooner + did + Verb 1st form__________than____________
* No sooner did he meet Roy than he gave him the document.
Hardly + had + Verb 3rd form (or Hardly + did + Verb 1st form)_____________when _______________
* Hardly had he met Roy when he gave him the document.
(Use comma with 'as soon as')
* As soon as he met him, he gave him the document.

WOULD RATHER/ HAD BETTER/ PREFER TO/ INSTEAD OF
* I would rather pursue a course in journalism than study science. (would rather+______than___)
* I had better pursue a course in journalism or I will have to study science. (had better + verb 1st form)
* I (will/ would) prefer studying journalism to studying science. (Prefer + to)
* Instead of studying science, I would study journalism.

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for this help..it is really helpful considering tomorrow is my ISC language exam :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very helpful

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a blessing in disguise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm just a conscientious teacher.

      Delete
  4. Would you mention other forms
    Or please give some more examples
    I would be very grateful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much... this is very helpful

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sir,it was really very helpful.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very helpful thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was of great help.. Thank you so much..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Add the usage of lest word as well please.. That confuses a number of students

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank u soo much. .these rules helped me alot...

    ReplyDelete
  11. An amazing page.. .it really helped me through my pre boards.

    ReplyDelete
  12. very very helpful.... really helping me out for my pre boards

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing your virtues

    ReplyDelete
  14. Abhishek ne iska link bheja tha...not good

    ReplyDelete
  15. tqqqqqqqqqqq I got my boards tom

    ReplyDelete
  16. This blog is very helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can tou do it same for the prepositions ����

    ReplyDelete
  18. Because transformations hwlped me a lot...thanx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now that I am so elated after browsing through your rules. Thank you for endowing upon me the rules. So grateful

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thnx for your help

    ReplyDelete
  21. These examples and rules very helpful. I am from St. Mary's School, Nagina and m felling very shameful to say that nothing is taught to us by our teachers. I am very grateful to such sites that are helping us like this. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very helpful....... Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks its very helpfull๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks. Tomorrow is my ISC Exam.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks.Tomorrow is my ISC exam ....

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good for 27th feb English language icse paper

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you so much!!! It is really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is really very helpful sir. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for us to guide sir

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Formal Letter based on a given situation -- CBSE Class 10

Character Sketch - Anil - A Thief's Story - Class 10 (Footprints Without Feet)